P R A C T I S C O R E
Q U I C K L I N K S
View scores from these links
U P C O M I N G E V E N T
Blues Brothers - Prescott Valley, AZ
Expert Gunsmiths & Firearms Refinishing
928-308-7732 - Jess
10% Discount with Code: BB002
We are a proud supporter
of the Yavapai Food Bank
SPORT SHOOTERS SUPPLY LLC
Club Member and Class 3 Dealer providing
Guns, Optice, Supplies, Transfers, Training
Frank Barbaro -- 928-713-0457
The Well Armed Woman, Prescott Chapter, meets the 2nd Sunday of the month at the Prescott Gun Club at 1200 Iron Springs Road, Prescott.
The Northern Arizona Classic scores have been posted.
(See left pane under "View scores from these links").
Match Directors: The Android Masters will be retired by the end of August
and the two iPads we have purchased will be used to replace them.
The club has purchased a new Doppler Chronograph. It is available at most matches.
US Now Has 15 Million Concealed Carriers
by S.H. BLANNELBERRY on MAY 25, 2017
Push the panic button! There are now more than 15 million concealed carriers in the United States! This must mean the streets are running red with blood. The Hills Have Eyes People must be taking over, right? Crime must be through the roof!!! Don’t go outside! Whatever you do. Don’t. Go. Outside.
Yes, it’s true. Well, part of what I said is true, the part about there being now more than 15 million people with concealed carry permits. Yeah, that’s true. The part about the streets running red with blood, we’ll get to that.
According to Crime Prevention Research Center, the number of permits soared from 14.5 million in July of last year to 15.7 million through May of this year, the largest one-year increase on record.
Economist John Lott, the founder of the pro-gun Crime Prevention Research Center, spoke to Fox News about the cause for the increase indicating that there’s been a rise in the number of women and minorities obtaining permits.
“I think you’re continuing to see a change in the composition of people who go and get permits,” Lott said. “Women are growing at a much faster rate than men.”
Specifically, between 2012 and 2016 the number of women seeking permits was twice that of men, according to Lott.
Lott also pointed to the fact that many states have made efforts to streamline the permitting process in recent years.
“You’re seeing states making it easier for people to go and get permits,” he said.
Now to the fun part. With more firearms in the hands of more citizens and with laws making it easier for citizens to carry, well that’s a recipe for abject disaster. Right? WRONG!
As the National Rifle Association conveniently notes in the Tweet below, between 2007 and 2015, the number of CCW permits increased by 215 percent. Meanwhile, the murder rate dropped 14 percent and the overall violent crime rate dropped 21 percent.
Now, as I’ve said for years, we should be cautious about saying that correlation equals causation, that is, more firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens definitely reduces crime. Yes, I know it’s tempting to say that based on the data. But the truth is there are a lot of factors that influence crime rates and to pin it all on one factor — the prevalence of firearms in the hands of good guys — is being a bit presumptuous given the complexity of the subject (It may, in fact, be true, it’s just really, really difficult to say for certain).
However, what we can say for sure and what we should shout from the rooftops is that a radical increase in the number of good guys with guns does not lead to an increase in crime! Not at all! And, anyone who disputes that observation is being intellectually dishonest based on the piles of data that prove otherwise.
Perhaps the most startling piece of evidence to make our comes from a 2013 Pew Study that reviewed crime data collected from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Now, it’s a little outdated but the overarching trendline with respect to crime remains true to this day.
“Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49 percent lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew,” stated the authors of the study. “The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75 percent lower in 2011 than in 1993.”
Remember, over that period of time not only have states relaxed laws on the issuing of concealed carry permits, transitioning from ‘May-Issue’ and ‘No-Issue’ concealed carry standards to ‘Shall-Issue’ and Constitutional concealed carry standards, causing the number of concealed carriers to balloon but the federal ban on “assault weapons” expired in 2004.
What this means is that we are more highly armed and more free to carry than ever before and the result is a country of marauding Hills Have Eyes People. No, actually, it’s a statistically safer society. Funny how that works.
• A new mailbox with a sign-in book has been installed at the rifle and pistol practice bays, next to the range flag. Please use this sign-in book and range flag when using these bays.
• All members may use practice bays at any time. You may also use these areas on match days during regularly scheduled matches. Please, as always sign in and obey all range rules.
• Please check the club calendar for range maintenance or events that require the practice area to be closed.
• There is no restriction on the time of day you may use the range.
• The speed limit on the dirt road to our facility is 15 MPH. It's one lane in and out.
• No incendiary, tracer or explosive ammunition allowed at any time.
• Be sure to lock the gate after passing through on non-event days to make sure the range is secure even if you or someone else is there.
• ATV's are not allowed on the range without the express permission from the Range Master.
• PractiScore electronic scoring tutorial video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYQAEDfdndw
• Range Safety is Everyone's Job. See the video here
• Thanks to Dave Bankhead, here is how to use the Nook with Practiscore. How to use the Nook
• The upper parking lot behind the rifle bay is not to be used as a shooting point.
• There will be no placing of additional or personal steel targets on the hillside behind the rifle bay.
Check the Match Scores Pages for more Information on the Matches
Also check the Match Directors recorded phone message at 928-778-0155 for the latest updates
If you have any changes or see any mistrakes, please contact me via the Webmaster link below
Supported Browsers: Chrome: Current - 1 & up, Edge: Current - 1 & up, Firefox: Current -1 & up, Internet Explorer: 9+, Safari: Current -1 & up, Opera: Current, Mobile: Stock browser on Android 4.0+, Safari on IOS 7+